Friday, February 6, 2009

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/02/05/facebook.impostors/index.html

This is an interesting article for many reasons. First let me give you a brief summary: people are freaking out because creeps are hacking into their facebook accounts and essentially ruining their lives. [note to self: do not leave my facebook logged in, unattended]. First example: broksi in london had his status as "HELP IN TROUBLE!" A concerned friend asked what he could do to help. They "hacker" said, I've been taken at gun point for a ransom. Help me and send me money. DUDE SENT HIM MONEY!!!!!!!!! As it turns out, the actual person was in Seattle, chilling at home.
Well, I mean... I would call the cops, or something... first. But, who am I? So his lovely concerned friend is out a couple thousand dollars.. and we all learned a lesson.
Do we really have to worry about something like this? I am in a cynical mood right now, so maybe I'm just way off base when I say: people just need to use their brains.
Oh technology, you are out of hand sometimes.
The worst that has happened to me, in terms of facebook hacking was my friends logging onto my account saying: Trish loves women, or something to that extent. I don't think the world is in any immentent danger because of facebook. If we all be smart about our virtual encounters, I think we'll be fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment