Friday, February 27, 2009

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/02/27/facebook.democracy/index.html

Facebook, the popular social networking website, is causing problems! Fab! They changes their "terms of use and agreement" or whatever it's called. Essentially they were saying that facebook now "owns" all of the content that you have put onto your page. This was basically removing all privacy rights that were previous stated and agreed to by users. With this being said, this caused a huge uproar within the facebook community. People were sending emails, petitions, and deleting their accounts in protest of the changes. Facebook responds to this by allowing users to have a certain imput on the terms of use before they change it.
It's interesting to see how the public responds to something like this. People were genuinely afraid of what facebook could do with their private information. Personally, I believe that facebook has no right to my own information. Yes, I have chosen to put it on their site, but it is my information, not theirs. When I signed up for facebook, my understanding was that my friends and I were going to be the only ones looking at my page. I think facebook did have the intention of using it in the corporate world. For example, before someone (a company) hires you, they want to dig into your closet to see if you have any serious skeletons. They do this by hacking into your facebook account. Now, is this okay? Is it their business anyway? My facebook page is completely different than how I act in the professional world and at school. Therefore, I do not think it is a relevant and necessary act for someone to see my page.
This new development makes me unhappy. I will admit, a lot of my pictures do have alcohol in them. But, alcohol is legal at the age of 21, so I do not see a point to their investigations. Yes, corporate america, I do go out on the weekends and drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment